Aluminium truck and trailer wheels are well known for their good looks and shine, with less maintenance required than steel wheels.
Keeping them looking their best is not only important for your company image, but for maintaining a healthy bottom line.
Leaving your wheels to collect dirt for too long will eventually result in time-consuming and costly maintenance.
Cleaning them on a regular basis will protect your investment and even extend their lifespan so you don’t have to replace wheels prematurely.
How to Clean Alcoa Wheels Using Wheel Cleaner
HINT: Always start by using a soft brush or rag to remove any dirt or debris from the surface of the wheel.
- Rinse the wheel with warm water; preferably using a high pressure hose.
- Next, pour some wheel cleaner and water into a bucket, diluting the cleaner according to how dirty the wheel is.
- Wet a soft brush or cloth in the bucket of diluted wheel cleaner and rub over the entire surface of the wheel to remove any grease or grime.
- Rinse the wheel off with a hose or pressure washer to remove any cleaner residue.
- Finally, wipe the wheels dry with a clean, soft cloth to prevent water spots from forming.
Cleaning Alcoa Wheels with Degreaser
- Use a brush or rag to remove any dirt or debris from the surface of the wheel.
- Spray a degreaser onto your wheels and let it sit for a few minutes.
- Rinse off the degreaser and scrub the wheel with a brush.
- Next, pour some wheel cleaner and water into a bucket and soak a cloth in it.
- Rinse off the cleaner and dry the wheel with a towel or rag.
Removing Tar from Alcoa Wheels
Tar can be difficult to remove from forged aluminium truck wheels, but not impossible.
- Start by using a soft brush or rag to remove as much of the tar as you can.
- Soak a cloth in hot water and add some wheel cleaner.
- Rub the cloth over the surface of the wheel to help loosen the tar.
- Rinse the wheel off with a hose or pressure washer.
- Repeat steps 2-4 until all of the tar is removed.
- Dry the wheel with a clean, soft cloth to prevent water spots from forming.
TIPS FOR THE BEST CLEAN
- Make sure to avoid harsh chemicals or scrubbing too hard, as this can damage the finish of the wheels.
- Use a soft cloth or sponge to avoid scratching the surface.
- Always rinse the wheels off after cleaning to remove any soap residue or cleaner.
- Using a wheel polish will restore shine and remove any remaining dirt or grime.
NO MORE POLISHING + WATER-SAVING + LESS HARSH CHEMICALS PUT INTO THE ENVIRONMENT
For wheels that need no polishing and less maintenance, Alcoa Dura-Bright® wheels are the way to go.
They stay shiny with regular truck cleaning products and even just soap and water – even after hundreds of washes and thousands of kilometres.
The Dura-Bright® surface treatment penetrates the surface of the aluminium to form one composite that becomes an integral part of the wheel so cracking, corrosion and filiform can’t get underneath as is seen with acrylic and other coatings.
“Dura-Bright® EVO wheels are Alcoa’s easiest-to-maintain wheels,” says Michael Nichols, National Sales Manager for Howmet Wheel Systems, Distributor of Alcoa Wheels in Australia. “They can stand up against the harshest weather, road grime and cleaning agents that are known to corrode and dull standard commercial truck, trailer and bus wheels.”
Alcoa Dura-Bright® wheels’ consistent shine without the need to polish are just two of their very attractive prospects for large fleets where well-presented equipment mean maintenance labour and time costs can be considerable.
“Dura-Bright® wheels clean with a simple soap and water wash, and not only do they take less time to clean than standard brushed aluminium wheels, they don’t need to be polished, so there are less chemicals going into the environment and less water used.”
Alcoa Dura-Bright® is available across most of the Alcoa wheel range, which means the premium benefits they are known for are not compromised:
- their light weight (increased payload, better fuel efficiency),
- their unmatched strength (proprietary MagnaForce® alloy is exclusive to Alcoa wheels and is 17% stronger than any other heavy duty truck wheel alloy in the industry),
- their improved heat dissipation results in extended tyre and brake life.
How to Clean Dura-Bright Wheels
- Allow wheels to cool below 35° C. Remove nut covers.
- Rinse with water.
- Mix water with a mild detergent
- Clean the wheel with a soft brush.
- Rinse with water.
Watch the Video on How to Clean Dura-Bright Wheels
EXTENDING WHEEL LIFE
Inspect your truck and trailer wheels regularly for signs of damage or wear and tear.
If you notice any problems, take the wheels to a qualified technician for repair.